Weekend Review: The I'm So Worn Out I Might Die Edition
So. This weekend nearly killed me. I mean, it was mostly fun but exhausting, too. And painful.
I took off Friday to help get the fellowship hall decorated and set up. Had to go shopping first, though, to get not just my groceries but ingredients for the things I needed to make for the party, as well.
And of course, Friday was Friday 13th. *sigh*
Nothing bad happened. Just a series of weird/stupid things.
Started off with me intending on texting Mama at 6:30 am to get her grocery list and instead I texted my friend E for the grocery list. lol I realized it as soon as I hit "send" but there's no cancelling a text message. So I immediately texted her to ignore me and my dumbness. Thankfully she was already up to get her kids off to school and herself to work so I didn't wake her up or anything. She just laughed and teased me a bit. No harm.
But then I had to go to Wal-Mart. I don't often have the same kinds of run-ins there that others have. And Friday wasn't a nightmare story like many I've heard from others over the years. But it was a little off-putting. I bought a TON of groceries and junk and spent a LOT of money and of course, I pay in cash. So naturally when I counted out my money for the cashier I handed her the wrong amount. I was about thirty dollars short. I mean, I had the money, I just counted out wrong before handing her the wad of cash. Well, instead of discreetly telling me that I was thirty dollars short, she blurts out loud as a fog horn, "[insert the amount i handed her] This is all you gonna pay?"
I should have deadpanned, "Yes. That's all I'm paying." Or something like that. I mean, there are people in line behind me and she calls me out like I'm some deadbeat who is trying to short them some money. Of course I intended to pay the full amount. Is not paying the full amount an option? lol
I merely clucked my tongue and apologized while I rifled through my wallet for the rest of the money and made some lame attempt at a joke about me not being able to count money that early in the morning. She didn't look up, didn't smile, nothing. Just continued to grimace at me like I'm some sort of criminal.
Then I whined about it on Facebook and got totally shamed by a cousin who said needed to pray for that poor woman because you never know what's going on in her life that made her so grumpy.
Of course she's right, but still....LET ME WHINE. For real, sometimes you just need to vent or whine even though you know it's really no big deal. What I don't need is my YOUNGER cousin lecturing me on social media as though she's a better Christian than I am.
Yes, yes, I know. This is why many of you don't like and never will have a Facebook page. Yada yada. I also like to whine on my blog about how annoying my family can be on Facebook. Deal with it. haha
ANYway, I got home, unloaded the ridiculous amount of groceries (very little of which was actually for ME), ate my Sonic and headed up to the church. CO aunt, Mama, Sis2 and Efan were already up there working. I'm such a slacker, I guess. *shrug*
Even Efan got in on the action. He helped us decorate the tree. :-D
He also helped Bobo put the trellis together that we used for the cake table back-drop. Super helpful, that boy. haha
Then we proceeded to work our tails off for the rest of the day. Assembling centerpieces, flocking and decorating a tree, hanging a banner, making bows, piecing together back-drops and moving tables and arguing over moving tables, putting tablecloths on tables, etc, etc, etc.

We didn't leave the church until 4ish, I guess. Well, I left at 4ish. Mama and CO aunt were still up there working when I left. Sis2 and Efan left around 3:30ish because they had a long ride home and Sis2 was annoyed anyway because whenever she'd suggest something they'd always consult with me or ask where I was or if I was outside they'd comment that they wished I was there. As though Sis2 and I don't share a brain when it comes to party decorating. I mean, honestly. We've put together so many dang parties together we practically don't even have to discuss stuff anymore, that's how in sync we are. She was very put out with them, needless to say, which made me feel kinda crappy because its not as though they actually listened to any of my suggestions either.
Anyway, it all got done and I went home, barely able to walk, and made sausage balls. Fortunately I pulled the last batch out of the oven just as Sis1 and Emmy pulled up in the drive to take me to the folks' house.
They had come for T-town and stopped on the way to pick up pizzas for supper. I'd asked to hitch a ride with them because I'd forgotten to get gas while I was in town and knew I'd be doing more driving later I the weekend. Oops! I was still so flustered by the cashier incident that I completely forgot that I needed gas. My bad. Hope I can get back to town Saturday morning!
But I digress...
So we went to the folks house for a couple of hours to eat pizza and visit with CO aunt even though I wanted nothing more than to be at home in my pjs and the DP snuggled on my lap. The opportunity to visit with or see CO aunt doesn't come around all that often, though, so I sucked it up and visited, cracked jokes and moaned when my knees resisted usage.
Saturday morning Sis1 and CO aunt went to town super early to pick up even MORE party food/supplies and I got up and got started with the rest of my food prep. I made a ranch flavored cheese ball (cream cheese, packet of dry ranch season mix, grated sharp cheddar smooshed together, formed into a cheese ball and rolled in real bacon bits) and then coated the phyllo shells with melted chocolate in preparation for mini cheesecakes. THEN coated the entire kitchen with no bake cheesecake powder when I mixed it up for the cheesecake portion of the mini-cheesecakes. When I emptied the envelopes of dry mix in the bowl it puffed out a cloud of cheesecake flavored dust. Glorious!!
I guess it was after 9:30 by the time I got to the church to help with finishing touches, the likes of which you would not believe. For real. There was still so much to do and set up that by the time the party started I was exhausted AND I had to wear a skirt because my mother forgot that we live in redneck country and NOBODY dresses up for anniversary parties anymore. lol But she insisted and seemed to think she'd be mad at me if I wore dress slacks instead so I wore a dumb skirt. The things we do for the people we love.
That's her original wedding dress. The groom's attire was mostly borrowed from the textile department on campus. Hard to believe Maw-Maw was ever a size six! LOL
All their children with spouses. And just so you know, it is next to impossible to get a decent shot of this group because they never shut up! A bunch of talkers, jokers and all around merry makers. But a pain in the butt to photograph. lol
Emmy and Alyssa's favorite part of the whole shindig was, of course, the desserts table.
The party was a success, though. My grandparents seemed to really enjoy it and there was a really good turnout. The food was wiped out almost completely. The only leftovers was some cheese cubes and the cream puffs my uncle brought. Oh, and the pasta salad an aunt brought even though we specifically said finger food. And also, she brought it in a brightly polka dotted bowl that did not go with the rest of the serving pieces at ALL and Sis2 and I didn't even want to put it on the table because we're snobs like that. LOL
My plate...minus the meatballs I ate before I thought to snap a pic. hehehe
The traditional cutting of the (Leaning Tower of Pisa) cake. Yes. We had issues with the cake. Mama made/decorated it. Normally her confections turn out pretty well but this one just would NOT cooperate. Fortunately the "bride and groom" didn't seem to care.
They did a halfway sorta vowel renewal and then all the "kids" (their nine children...my aunts, uncles and Mama) entertained with some of the songs they sang back in their gospel group days.
As tired as I was, I must say I really enjoyed it. I got to spend time with the people I love and eat yummy food and play with my favorite children.
My body is still in full on protest mode, four days later, though. haha
Sunday after church, I went home and the DP and I snuggled under a blanket for HOURS watching a Witches of East End marathon on Lifetime and eating potato chips and dip and drinking Bailey's spiked coffee and napping. It was glorious.
CO Aunt flew home Monday morning and everyone is sad about that.
Now I'm back at work and so TIRED with a million and one things to do before we leave for Christmas break. And the anticipation of being off for nine days is KILLING ME. I sooooooo need these nine days. Now that the party is over with and Mama is regaining her sanity we can all use some major R&R.
I took off Friday to help get the fellowship hall decorated and set up. Had to go shopping first, though, to get not just my groceries but ingredients for the things I needed to make for the party, as well.
And of course, Friday was Friday 13th. *sigh*
Nothing bad happened. Just a series of weird/stupid things.
Started off with me intending on texting Mama at 6:30 am to get her grocery list and instead I texted my friend E for the grocery list. lol I realized it as soon as I hit "send" but there's no cancelling a text message. So I immediately texted her to ignore me and my dumbness. Thankfully she was already up to get her kids off to school and herself to work so I didn't wake her up or anything. She just laughed and teased me a bit. No harm.
But then I had to go to Wal-Mart. I don't often have the same kinds of run-ins there that others have. And Friday wasn't a nightmare story like many I've heard from others over the years. But it was a little off-putting. I bought a TON of groceries and junk and spent a LOT of money and of course, I pay in cash. So naturally when I counted out my money for the cashier I handed her the wrong amount. I was about thirty dollars short. I mean, I had the money, I just counted out wrong before handing her the wad of cash. Well, instead of discreetly telling me that I was thirty dollars short, she blurts out loud as a fog horn, "[insert the amount i handed her] This is all you gonna pay?"
I should have deadpanned, "Yes. That's all I'm paying." Or something like that. I mean, there are people in line behind me and she calls me out like I'm some deadbeat who is trying to short them some money. Of course I intended to pay the full amount. Is not paying the full amount an option? lol
I merely clucked my tongue and apologized while I rifled through my wallet for the rest of the money and made some lame attempt at a joke about me not being able to count money that early in the morning. She didn't look up, didn't smile, nothing. Just continued to grimace at me like I'm some sort of criminal.
Then I whined about it on Facebook and got totally shamed by a cousin who said needed to pray for that poor woman because you never know what's going on in her life that made her so grumpy.
Of course she's right, but still....LET ME WHINE. For real, sometimes you just need to vent or whine even though you know it's really no big deal. What I don't need is my YOUNGER cousin lecturing me on social media as though she's a better Christian than I am.
Yes, yes, I know. This is why many of you don't like and never will have a Facebook page. Yada yada. I also like to whine on my blog about how annoying my family can be on Facebook. Deal with it. haha
ANYway, I got home, unloaded the ridiculous amount of groceries (very little of which was actually for ME), ate my Sonic and headed up to the church. CO aunt, Mama, Sis2 and Efan were already up there working. I'm such a slacker, I guess. *shrug*
Even Efan got in on the action. He helped us decorate the tree. :-D
He also helped Bobo put the trellis together that we used for the cake table back-drop. Super helpful, that boy. haha
Then we proceeded to work our tails off for the rest of the day. Assembling centerpieces, flocking and decorating a tree, hanging a banner, making bows, piecing together back-drops and moving tables and arguing over moving tables, putting tablecloths on tables, etc, etc, etc.
We didn't leave the church until 4ish, I guess. Well, I left at 4ish. Mama and CO aunt were still up there working when I left. Sis2 and Efan left around 3:30ish because they had a long ride home and Sis2 was annoyed anyway because whenever she'd suggest something they'd always consult with me or ask where I was or if I was outside they'd comment that they wished I was there. As though Sis2 and I don't share a brain when it comes to party decorating. I mean, honestly. We've put together so many dang parties together we practically don't even have to discuss stuff anymore, that's how in sync we are. She was very put out with them, needless to say, which made me feel kinda crappy because its not as though they actually listened to any of my suggestions either.
Anyway, it all got done and I went home, barely able to walk, and made sausage balls. Fortunately I pulled the last batch out of the oven just as Sis1 and Emmy pulled up in the drive to take me to the folks' house.
They had come for T-town and stopped on the way to pick up pizzas for supper. I'd asked to hitch a ride with them because I'd forgotten to get gas while I was in town and knew I'd be doing more driving later I the weekend. Oops! I was still so flustered by the cashier incident that I completely forgot that I needed gas. My bad. Hope I can get back to town Saturday morning!
But I digress...
So we went to the folks house for a couple of hours to eat pizza and visit with CO aunt even though I wanted nothing more than to be at home in my pjs and the DP snuggled on my lap. The opportunity to visit with or see CO aunt doesn't come around all that often, though, so I sucked it up and visited, cracked jokes and moaned when my knees resisted usage.
Saturday morning Sis1 and CO aunt went to town super early to pick up even MORE party food/supplies and I got up and got started with the rest of my food prep. I made a ranch flavored cheese ball (cream cheese, packet of dry ranch season mix, grated sharp cheddar smooshed together, formed into a cheese ball and rolled in real bacon bits) and then coated the phyllo shells with melted chocolate in preparation for mini cheesecakes. THEN coated the entire kitchen with no bake cheesecake powder when I mixed it up for the cheesecake portion of the mini-cheesecakes. When I emptied the envelopes of dry mix in the bowl it puffed out a cloud of cheesecake flavored dust. Glorious!!
I guess it was after 9:30 by the time I got to the church to help with finishing touches, the likes of which you would not believe. For real. There was still so much to do and set up that by the time the party started I was exhausted AND I had to wear a skirt because my mother forgot that we live in redneck country and NOBODY dresses up for anniversary parties anymore. lol But she insisted and seemed to think she'd be mad at me if I wore dress slacks instead so I wore a dumb skirt. The things we do for the people we love.
That's her original wedding dress. The groom's attire was mostly borrowed from the textile department on campus. Hard to believe Maw-Maw was ever a size six! LOL
All their children with spouses. And just so you know, it is next to impossible to get a decent shot of this group because they never shut up! A bunch of talkers, jokers and all around merry makers. But a pain in the butt to photograph. lol
Emmy and Alyssa's favorite part of the whole shindig was, of course, the desserts table.
The party was a success, though. My grandparents seemed to really enjoy it and there was a really good turnout. The food was wiped out almost completely. The only leftovers was some cheese cubes and the cream puffs my uncle brought. Oh, and the pasta salad an aunt brought even though we specifically said finger food. And also, she brought it in a brightly polka dotted bowl that did not go with the rest of the serving pieces at ALL and Sis2 and I didn't even want to put it on the table because we're snobs like that. LOL
My plate...minus the meatballs I ate before I thought to snap a pic. hehehe
The traditional cutting of the (Leaning Tower of Pisa) cake. Yes. We had issues with the cake. Mama made/decorated it. Normally her confections turn out pretty well but this one just would NOT cooperate. Fortunately the "bride and groom" didn't seem to care.
They did a halfway sorta vowel renewal and then all the "kids" (their nine children...my aunts, uncles and Mama) entertained with some of the songs they sang back in their gospel group days.
As tired as I was, I must say I really enjoyed it. I got to spend time with the people I love and eat yummy food and play with my favorite children.
My body is still in full on protest mode, four days later, though. haha
Sunday after church, I went home and the DP and I snuggled under a blanket for HOURS watching a Witches of East End marathon on Lifetime and eating potato chips and dip and drinking Bailey's spiked coffee and napping. It was glorious.
CO Aunt flew home Monday morning and everyone is sad about that.
Now I'm back at work and so TIRED with a million and one things to do before we leave for Christmas break. And the anticipation of being off for nine days is KILLING ME. I sooooooo need these nine days. Now that the party is over with and Mama is regaining her sanity we can all use some major R&R.
Comments
BTW, is The Witches of East End based on the book? I don't get Lifetime, but have seen this book mentioned in a couple of Teaser Tuesday posts.
Heather, Yes, I think Witches of East End is based on the book. I hadn't heard of the book until I saw the TV show. It's a pretty good show. Of course they had the season finale last Sunday so it's gone for a while. Total bummer.