Not a happy camper!
Remember a while back I mentioned that loggers were cutting timber from down my road? Well, they have officially moved down to the worst possible spot and one of my dreaded nightmares is coming true.
Witness, the new view from my front porch. :-(
Not only are they cutting the lovely woods that face my house but they have set up their equipment there which is noisy, ugly and ruts up the road. The whole thing makes me sad, disgusted and anxious. I dread the end result because I fear all that lovely tranquil privacy I've enjoyed for nearly five years will be gone and all I'll be able to see is highway where I once only saw trees.
I mean, I knew when I bought the house that someday this might happen. With the economy the way it is and people needing money, it was only a matter of time before someone sold all that gorgeous timber. But I had hoped that it would never actually happen. Even when they started cutting further down the road I told myself that there was no way they'd come this far down.
I was in complete denial.
But this is the view I came home to last night. And ya'll, I'm not even gonna lie and say I didn't tear up.
Between this and my neighbor who nearly burned down my house last week I don't know what I'm going to do.
Oh yeah. I never told ya'll about my neighbor. He decided to clean up his yard Friday, aka, burn a bunch of junk. Never mind that all last week was banned for burning due to dry and windy conditions. And just guess where he decided to do all his burning. Just guess.
If you guessed "our property line" you guessed correctly. Because the line that divides my property from his is his favorite wrecking place. All his junk gets piled up there, all their loud parties happen there and now all his burning apparently happens there.
But lest you think all this griping is sour grapes let me say this: His fire? Well, it got a little bit out of control and burned a strip of MY property. Yes. There is currently a narrow black strip of burned grass and pine needles on my side of the property. Thank God he got it under control before it traveled to my house and thank God again that none of the sparks from his windy fire made it over to my house.
I would post a photo of the burned strip but I've been too mad to take one. Mad as in, every time I step onto my carport and that black strip of ground catches my eye I mentally yell every cuss word I know.
If I weren't such a timid shrinking violet non-confrontational person I'd have been pounding on his door with some choice words. I haven't told my dad about it for fear he'd do just that. As it is, I'm trying not to get too involved with my neighbors. Partially because I know that it wouldn't ultimately solve anything and partially because we have several mutual friends who I don't want to piss off. And partially because I'm praying they move away. haha
I told myself when I bought my house that I was staying there forever. That move was my last. I love my house and know that it was an all out blessing. And I still intend to stay for as long as God allows me. But I gotta say, I'm not too thrilled with the house's location anymore.

Comments
Burn bans are invoked for good reason. At least two of the major fires in California during the past several months were started by idiots who lit an illegal camp fire. Fires that burned thousands of acres and destroyed peoples' homes. Ugh!
Oh, and my commiseration on the loggers. Are they completely clearing the property, or does it seem selective? I remember how stunned I felt last year when they cleared out much of the wooded strip between the bike path and park. I liked having that bit of provacy.
And let's not forget the "prairie restoration" project at the Arboretum last year. On one hand, I understand the need to clear out dead brush and thin out invasive species. But on the other, I hate seeing perfectly healthy trees cut down. :(