Weird Week

Or weird life, I could say.

I don't even know what normal is anymore. Maybe weird is the new normal. All I know is I wish my life were boring again. I never complained about it being boring so I don't know why it keeps going haywire. Or maybe haywire is the new boring. Gah!

I just want to have nothing going on anymore. I want to come to work, sit at my desk and play with books, go home and sit on the couch with my Libs and watch TV or read. I don't want to have to deal with meetings, or infections, or medications, or presentations or exhibits. I'd rather not have to have lengthy conversations planning things that need doing but can be put off for another ten years. I could do without being asked difficult questions on subjects that don't really concern me. I want someone to just tell me what they want me to say so I can say it and get on with my life because nobody really cares what I think as if I even think all that deeply anyway! (run-on nonsensical sentence for the win!)

To sum it up: I am tired. Worn to the bone. I'm so tired that I don't even feel like de-stressing by baking a batch of my favorite chocolate chip cookies! And that, my friend, is EXHAUSTION to the core.

*deep breath and sigh*

Libby is doing much better, though. Thank the Lord! Her foot is healing up nicely. In fact, it looks as though it is completely healed. I cut out the twice daily foot soaks and the antiseptic spray Wednesday. Still giving her the antibiotics, though and keeping an eye on that foot in case it starts oozing again. Or, I'm trying to finish out her antibiotics, anyway. The last couple of times I've given them to her, she's puked up the egg it was mixed in. Not sure if it's the antibiotics making her nauseated or if her body is simply starting to reject eggs since she's eaten them so much lately.  I know MY body has started to reject eggs because I'VE eaten them so much lately. haha

I had a working breakfast this morning in the cafeteria (sounds glamorous and important but trust me, it wasn't. It was a PITA.) and I skipped the eggs and went straight to the potatoes, biscuits with gravy and sausage. It was a delicious treat but I had to pay for it and I would have rather used that $7 on a couple of lattes with preferred company instead.

So yeah. Libs and I have eaten a lot of eggs lately. They are quick, filling and nutritious is my excuse. Better than cereal. I think I'll switch over to turkey sausage and toast next week, though. Not sure about for Libs. She has a few more days of antibiotics left and she turns her nose up to the pill wrapped in cheese or bread, the weirdo.

Next week's calendar looks okay so far. Only one day of crazy anticipated so far and I get it over with on Monday. Fingers crossed that the rest of the week will be smooth sailing. And then the following week is Spring break and all the "kids" will be gone. We usually don't schedule crazy during that week. So if I can just get a couple of quiet weeks in, I'll survive to see 35, I think.

ANYway...

You know, I remember back in the day when I had tons of "spare" time. Back before my former supervisor retired. I hardly ever had to go to meetings or even leave my desk other than for breaks and lunch. I could work on my projects and actually finish things. My office was messy, sure, but it never looked like it had vomited. There weren't piles upon piles of things waiting for me to deal with them because I actually had time to actually DEAL WITH THEM. Now? Ugh. No time to be had. And the rare pockets of time I do manage to find time to deal with things my brain is pulled in 20 gazillion different directions. What to deal with first? And then I pick something, get it done and BOOM. Something new lands on my desk on top of the things I hadn't yet gotten to.

FUN. Except not.

And I guess I really shouldn't complain. And I'm not, really. I'm glad for the work and the job security. I'm glad to have projects to keep my mind occupied and working.  I'm just tired and overwhelmed and in dire need of a vacation except a vacation would only exacerbate the problem because while I'm out things continue to pile up so that when I come back...well, you get the idea. Things grow.

One thing I am really happy about is the fact that the Olympics are over and regular television is back in session. I hated that most of my shows either went to re-runs or were entirely missing during those two weeks. At least Pretty Little Liars continued on and it was DA BOMB. Oh the revelations that occurred during those two weeks' episodes! I know, I know, nobody who hangs out here watches but if you DID, you'd be all, "I know, right?" because, yeah. And I'd be all, "I was right all along," and you'd be all, "Whatevs, he could still be A." But now I'm just babbling. And that's unusual how?

I did read two books during the Olympic's imposed television hiatus, though. So that's something. Both were Tara Taylor Quinn from her Shelter Valley series. Not as good as some of her earlier work but I think it's me that's changing and not her writing skills. I'm just not as happy with category romance as I used to be. It seems contrived and too sappy to me now. Or maybe it is her changing her writing because she used to really tackle some tough situations and write it in a very deep and meaningful way but the last, oh, five or so books I've read of hers just seem a little more fluffy than it used to. And the happily ever afters...gag. I'm all for happy endings and junk but sometimes the happy endings leave me all, "What? That's so far beyond unreal that I can't even look at this book anymore." Where's the beef? is a good question because I need a little more meat to these stories than I've been getting recently.

I want angry heroines who don't just accept bad behavior from the people in their lives and just forgive them because suddenly they realize the error of their ways. I want her to make people work for her good graces and earn her love. I want a heroine with enough self esteem to walk away from a family who abuses her trust. It's okay to be sad about it but don't sit around like an abandoned puppy and lick their boots when they decide that she's suddenly good enough for them. I want heroes who are brooding and angsty, not docile and scared but fall in love with the heroine after a week because she's nice but she might be out to get me/mess up my life but she might not be so maybe I should propose then get all hissy-fitty when the heroine's like, "Dude. Back up. I hardly even know you."

I love it when they argue and fight but have fun together, too--and not just in the sack--, and kiss passionately but hate each other but can't stop thinking about each other. I love it when the black period is really black and it makes your stomach drop because you can't believe that just happened or how they can possibly get to a HEA after that but then they do and it's in the weirdest most perfect way possible and instead of gagging you're sighing all happy and content but sad to see the story end. Victoria Dahl is good at those stories, as is Kristen Higgens. And Brenda Novak's newest MIRA series is good at that. But they don't have anything new out right now. Boo.

The stuff in my TBR pile are books that I kinda want to read but I figure will disappoint me in the same way the TTQ stuff disappointed me. And I hate investing my emotions in books that disappoint me.

ANYway, so that's the crazy mixed up files of Jana's life these days. Work, devil pups, television and books. If you quit reading and started skimming halfway through, I'm actually proud of you for even managing to skim! :-D

Comments

Aunt B said…
Quit? Skimmed? No, no, Jana...I read every single word. Hang in there, hon...it can only get better!
Heather said…
Have you tried the Greenie pill pockets? Friends have had great success pilling their animals with those. Or peanut butter.

As for work... Ugh! Hang in their, hon. New boss has to get a clue sometime, right? Maybe?

I was actually glad most shows were on hiatus during the Olympics, so I could watch some of it without missing all of my shows. I turned Olympics on low so I could read during events I wasn't as interested in, but hear when those I wanted to see were on. That's the thing that's irritating, the way they keep going back and forth between events, trying to keep you there instead of clicking over to another channel. (And you're right, don't watch PLL.)

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today