Imma Weirdo
Is it weird that going to a restaurant I've never been to before stresses me out a little? Every place seems to have a different system for ordering and receiving food. And don't get me started on the different drink station set ups. And omigosh the places that have their full menu (and I'm talking FULL ON COMPLICATED) on a chalkboard above the counter and it's SOMANYCHOICES!! Half the time I don't even know what I'm looking at and they're all, "What can I get you?" and I'm too embarrassed to say, "I don't know!"
Yes, yes. I know I'm weird. I like a paper menu that I can sit somewhere quietly and peruse without someone staring at me expectantly. And I like to be told when drinks/coffee is self serve and where to find those drinks. I'm not a terribly intuitive person.
Or I like simple menus above the counter where the choices are spaced evenly and cleanly and I can easily spot, "Okay, here are the breakfast items. There are the drink choices."
I had another professional breakfast meeting and we met at a bagel café I've only been to once back when I was in college and the place has changed a lot in 13 years. You would think a bagel café wouldn't be all that intimidating but they have a million ways that they do bagels and it's just all so complex and jammed onto these three giant chalkboards and NOTHING is separated or explained.
Naturally I was the last person to arrive from our group and everyone else had already ordered. So instead of trying to figure out the menu, I just ordered an ordinary toasted bagel with cream cheese and a coffee. Simple enough, right? Except the guy didn't tell me that the coffee was entirely self service so when they called my name to pick up my food there was just the bagel on the tray and I stood there stupidly trying to figure out where my coffee was. Fortunately I spotted the paper cups first and figured the coffee couldn't be far behind. But still, would it hurt to mention by rote, "We'll call you when your order's ready and help yourself to the coffee around the corner,"?
Gah. I'm such a nerd.
Hopefully this is my last forced professional breakfast for a while and I can go back to my usual places and groups. :-)
Yes, yes. I know I'm weird. I like a paper menu that I can sit somewhere quietly and peruse without someone staring at me expectantly. And I like to be told when drinks/coffee is self serve and where to find those drinks. I'm not a terribly intuitive person.
Or I like simple menus above the counter where the choices are spaced evenly and cleanly and I can easily spot, "Okay, here are the breakfast items. There are the drink choices."
I had another professional breakfast meeting and we met at a bagel café I've only been to once back when I was in college and the place has changed a lot in 13 years. You would think a bagel café wouldn't be all that intimidating but they have a million ways that they do bagels and it's just all so complex and jammed onto these three giant chalkboards and NOTHING is separated or explained.
Naturally I was the last person to arrive from our group and everyone else had already ordered. So instead of trying to figure out the menu, I just ordered an ordinary toasted bagel with cream cheese and a coffee. Simple enough, right? Except the guy didn't tell me that the coffee was entirely self service so when they called my name to pick up my food there was just the bagel on the tray and I stood there stupidly trying to figure out where my coffee was. Fortunately I spotted the paper cups first and figured the coffee couldn't be far behind. But still, would it hurt to mention by rote, "We'll call you when your order's ready and help yourself to the coffee around the corner,"?
Gah. I'm such a nerd.
Hopefully this is my last forced professional breakfast for a while and I can go back to my usual places and groups. :-)
Comments