Staycation 2014: Part Dos

So we left off with indigestion in the previous post. ;-)

Wednesday morning (July 2) was a nice relaxing day of furniture building.

Wait. What? Relaxing furniture building?

Hey, you relax your way and I'll relax mine.

For a little context let me just say, I'd been watching an apartment tour on YouTube the week before and the office in the apartment sported a desk that I knew instantly was exactly what I'd been looking for to replace the folding table that I'd used behind the love seat for the past five years. Of course, I also instantly knew that the desk on the video was a designer priced piece but I ALSO knew that if it existed I could likely find a knock of somewhere.

Lo and behold when I searched Target.com I found the knock off almost right away. And as tho it were meant to be, it was on sale! With free shipping! It's like the desk WANTED me to buy it! So I did.

Don't you just love it when that sort of thing happens? Never mind that it took me five years to find the right desk at the right price. I've learned that anything worth having is worth waiting for. And settling for something that will "do" isn't worth the money or effort. (I'm so totally wise, right? Don't answer that.)

ANYway, so the desk was magically delivered Monday afternoon by a UPS hottie. At least Emmy said he was a hottie. He never actually knocked on the door. He left it on the carport but Emmy peeked out the living room window and declared him a hottie. She's 14. She should know of hotties, right?

I didn't have anywhere to be Wednesday morning so I took the opportunity to assemble the desk. Once I got my thinking cap on and learned to interpret ancient hieroglyphics (seriously, whatever happened to INSTRUCTIONS in assembly instructions?) it was  the easiest furniture assembly I've ever done. So easy I didn't have to take apart and redo a single thing! What!





It has three drawers to hold all the crap that used to litter the top of the table, it's simple and not bulky. AND it compliments/ties in with the entertainment unit across the room.

And yes. I watch Kelly and Michael when I'm at home on a weekday.

Next on my wishlist is a beefier more comfortable chair to go with it. And I found the perfect one but, you know, budget and all. So it has to wait and I hafta pray it's still available when I have the  funds for it.

Once that was done, I basically vegged on the couch until Sis2 called and said Lyssa wanted me to come to town and paint pottery with them.

They had gone on a "photoshoot" around town and campus with Emmy and it was winding down. They were ready to do something fun. So I got gussied up and headed to town. Except when I finally go to town, they were still on campus taking photos. Cut to me being a little annoyed.

But I did a little shopping in places I don't get to very often and spent a little money I should have saved. *shrug* An hour later Sis2 texted that they were heading to Wendy's but she had to go collect her truck. Meanwhile I was getting a little testy because, hey, my pajamas had been perfectly comfy and I only came to town because they asked me to. I did meet them up at Wendy's but by the time I got there they were finishing up their frosty's, Emmy was in a mood (teenagers!) and Nana was  heading home.

We did make it to the pottery place where we each gave them an arm or a leg (the prices have gone insane there!) to play with paint.

Lyssa enjoyed it more than her expression implies.
I just caught her while she was deep in concentration. ;-)

Thankfully this girl got out of her teenagery ill mood.

And we did the obligatory selfie together.
 That's what fun aunts do.
They take selfies with the young'uns.

The pottery place has changed location since the last time we went. They used to be located over by the fro yo place. Now? They are by the donut shop. So yeah. We had donuts. I didn't capture any pics of that, though. You know, because evidence and plausible deniability.

We would have headed back to Sis2's place for a little while but one of those summer storms was working it's way across the state and Goofus (via text) advised us to just go home. So that's what we did.

Thursday (July 3rd) we pretty much vegged at our respective residences. I didn't step outside except to take Libs out and check the mail. What I did do, though, was work on some house type projects.

Remember I told you about the art I bought at the thrift store?

Well, I hung it up. 



Basically I did a little switcheroo with some pieces and moved the metal piece that used to hang on the dining room wall and did a gallery wall in the dining room instead.

The two pieces to the right are the pieces I bought Tuesday. The piece to the left I made Thursday morning. The cross is one I did a couple years ago and finally found a home for it.

Yes, I really did simply paint a canvas brown and then randomly squirt swirls of blue craft paint and call it art. I'm learning that it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful.


The iron/capiz piece that used to hang on the dining room wall? Well, it found a home in the living room. I finally filled that empty wall and I love it!


Sorry for the terrible pics, btw. I let daylight get away from me so the lighting was super poor for these.

So Thursday was productive, for sure. I still have one more piece to add to the gallery wall in the dining room but I'm looking for a frame for it first. It will go beneath the art I created. And them I'm calling the dining room "done." Or as done as it will ever be. I'm not interior designer.

While I was arting up my house, Emmy and Bobo were fishing. Homegirl caught a ton of fish, most impressively were this Bass:


And this 7.5lb catfish:

 
 
She was super impressed with herself. And they ate fried catfish for supper that night. But guess who didn't score a supper invite...Yeah. My feelings were a little hurt. :-(
 
Anyhoo, I hate to put off finishing up my staycation photo/story dump but again, this is running a little long and Friday (the 4th) is soooooo photo heavy I feel like it needs it's own post. So, until next time, ya'll!

Comments

Heather said…
The desk is definitely not my style, but if it works for you, that's all that matters, right?

As for the brown canvas...how very Jackson Pollock of you, LOL. ☺
Jana said…
It definitely works for me. ;-)

LOL Bet his drips look way better than mine. ;-)

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today