Sad Day

Got word this morning that a much loved family friend passed away last night. Not sure what happened...possibly a heart attack but I haven't heard. I didn't go to lunch with Mama today, who probably has all the deets by now. At first I felt a little guilty about that because I figured she needed someone to talk to. But when I saw her in passing just now I realize it's probably for the best. I can't deal with her grief and my own right now.  Selfish? Maybe. But the Lord works things out for us in our best interest and I'm pretty sure He worked out our lunch plans exactly the way it was supposed to be.

I'm actually not even really grieving yet. I don't think it's really settled in that it really happened. I mean, I just saw him recently and he was fine. Or he seemed fine.

Me and Mr. Leslie at the church Valentine's Banquet, 2010.
One thing I know for sure, he was the sweetest man I think I have ever known in my entire life and I'm not exaggerating just because he's gone now. He was quite literally, the sweetest, kindest, most thoughtful man I've ever known. Always ready with a hug and a huge smile. Always greeted me like I was exactly who he had hoped to see. Helpful to his neighbors and friends. I can't even express how thoughtful and kind he and his wife were to our family when we lost Paw-Paw Joe.

What struck me the most, though, was how kind  he was to his wife. How sweet they always were together. Always laughing with each other. He always spoke kindly to her and always spoke about her with respect and affection. A rare quality, from what I've observed of men in my 35 years.

I can't imagine the world without his big smile in it. I don't even want to think about it.

Please pray for his wife, though. Like him, she is the sweetest person and I can't imagine one of them without the other. I know she must be in total shock and will need as many prayers as we can spare as she wades through the loss and grief.

Comments

Aunt B said…
Hugs, Jana...and my deepest sympathy for your great loss. You're right, it was not the time to meet with your mother for lunch. If it had been, you would have known it. I think I remember you posting that photo before, and telling us what a great man he was. My thoughts and prayers are with you, and with his wife.
Heather said…
So sorry for your loss -- and sorry I did not see this sooner. I have difficulty accessing Bloglovin' from home now, and without forget to check on favorite blogs. (((HUGS)))
Jana said…
Thanks, ya'll. The service was yesterday and I'll admit to crying a bit. The church was PACKED...cars parked all along the road almost to the highway. And it was HOT in the church but it was a sweet service. His wife seemed to go back and forth from being okay to being just shattered so it's going to be a tough time for her.

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today