Stream of Consciousness

~I have been actively praying for a "snow day" for the past two months. Mother nature keeps teasing me and then at the last minute, laughs as she says no. I guess I need to just suck it up and take a couple of personal days if I want to be off work. ;-)

~I tried a new church yesterday. It was the first time in my entire life that I've visited a church where I knew no one and took no one I'm related to with me. It was scary and I almost threw up on the way  there. And while I was not impressed with this church and will not go back, I'm glad I stepped out in obedience and tried it. I have a few more churches on my list of ones to visit and I'm really praying one of them is the right fit.

~I went shoe shopping after church and came home with a scarf that was on sale for $2.99. No shoes. Apparently they no longer make athletic shoes that aren't neon or stuffed with memory foam. Don't get me wrong. The whole memory foam thing sounds like a dream but  having tried on a couple of pair with it, I can attest that they are soft but offer no real support. I'm flat footed, heavy and have painful pressure points on my "big" toes. I need sturdy support.

~I got the first disc of the CW's Reign from Netflix and watched all however many episodes in one sitting. Like, I got up once to go potty but other than that it was 3 hours of Mary, Queen of Scotts, Libby and a cup of tea. To say I'm hooked is putting it mildly. Of course, very little of it is historically accurate so if you're a stickler for history, you'd probably hate it.

~I finished reading It Was Me All Along, Andie Mitchell's memoire. I discovered Andie through How Sweet It Is a while ago and find her writing to be thoughtful and perceptive. She has an extraordinary history with weight loss and food issues, so naturally I am drawn to her story. In some ways I could see myself identifying with her but in others, I couldn't help but wonder how I ended up in this physical state when I never ate quite like that. It just doesn't seem fair that other fat people get to eat like there's no tomorrow to gain that amount of weight and yet all I have to do to gain ten pounds is eat a breakfast burrito once a week and a nightly piece of chocolate.

~On the weight front, I took myself off of Lipitor (cholesterol meds) and have finally stopped gaining weight. Ya'll, I was gaining at increasingly and alarmingly fast quantities without any encouragement from what I was eating and seeing no loss when I would basically starve myself. I had heard that Lipitor could cause diabetes but when I couldn't figure out the weight gain, I read up on Lipitor and discovered several people who claimed it made them gain. I took myself off of it to see if that could be it and I think that I'm on to something. I mean, obviously, I understand that weekly trips to Sonic and Panda Express don't help but a burrito on Saturday mornings and orange chicken on Friday's for lunch shouldn't have caused me to gain that much that quickly. Especially since I was/am being careful about what I'm eating in a normal day. I'm going to give it another couple of weeks and keep taking my iron and cholesterol supplement's and see what happens and then get up in my doctor's face about putting me on something that's hurting me more than helping.

~Work life is somewhat improving. I'm not entirely sure what's going on and am waiting for the other shoe to drop. I've only nearly stroked out once in the past two months. So...progress. But I wonder what all there is that I DON'T know that WOULD make me stroke out if I knew. I don't want to know.

Comments

Heather said…
~ No snow days here recently, though many an outlying school has had a "two hour delay" due to dangerous windchills or icy roads. Sooo tired of our Arctic weather!

~ Awesome scarf snag! The fact that walking shoes only seem to come in neon these days are a bone of contention with me as well. They're fine for kids, but come on people -- how about something an adult won't feel embarrassed to wear?

~ IMO, the side effects far outweigh the benefits of many currently approved drugs. I don't see how something like that could be good for you.

~ Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Enjoy it while you can. ;-)
Jana said…
I'm on my feet so much at work these days that I've taken to wearing my walking/athletic shoes to work. So, you know, I need something subtle so that they don't look entirely ridiculous with my slacks. The pair have had for a year and a half are nice...gray with lilac accents. But they terribly worn down and my knees and back and telling me all about it. Also, there's no more sole/cushion where my right big toe rests/rubs. I'm a nightmare on shoes. :-/
Heather said…
I never used to think I was hard on shoes until last summer. The walking shoes I bought in April didn't even make it through the autumn. The inner soles wore down so much they now make my feet hurt, so cannot wear them at all unless I get some kind of Dr. Scholl's inserts.

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today