I Can Rest in September

Summer kinda bites. Or blows. Or sucks. Or whatever.

For one, it's HOT. Sticky hot. Hot hot. Sweaty hot. Yucky hot. Walking outside into humidity so thick it coats your skin, hair, teeth and eyeballs with a gross, stinky film of moisture and your clothes stick to you and your hair goes limp with frizz and the air is too thick to breathe...hot.

But also, summer is  BUSY. Birthdays. Father's Day. Family visits. Yard work. Sucking in any A/C anytime it's easily available and sweating your face off when it's not.

Sidebar: I sometimes crank my a/c really low, like 62 to 68 degrees, so that it gets really really cold in the house and I can snuggle under a blanket. BRING BACK COLD SNUGGLY WINTER. Yes, I am odd.

Tomorrow is Mama's 62nd birthday. It's also the Genealogy Fair at work but guess who's wrath I'd rather avoid...DING, DING, DING! If you guessed my mother's you've won yourself a nice big toothy grin! So yes. I'm actually saying no to a work thing and will be skipping off to the wild blue yonder (also known as Tupelo) to walk my legs off at the flea market and eat either IHop or Logan's Roadhouse (she can't decide) for my mother's birthday. Dreading it a little bit. All the walking! All the noise. Oh, and did y'all know it's HOT down here? Because it is. #Sweating

BUT the kids will be there (good thing? bad thing? kids don't genernally hold up well in  heat OR flea markets) and both my sisters are gracing us with their presence as well sooooooo....good times?

Then next weekend is Father's Day and as has somehow become the tradition, I will be hosting. See the menu? #DeadAlready

Is it too much? Probably. But I barely scraped by with enough food at Mother's Day lunch and since it's all about Daddy, I'm trying to squeeze in as much of his favorite things as possible while also accommodating the low-carb diabetic in the family AND the picky eating kids AND the picky eating brother-in-law. And yes, I realize it's missing some green (other than jalapenos) so I might add in some Brussel's or some green beans. Or a salad? Maybe? I don't know!

Also, in the file of "things I don't know" is...WHAT TO GET HIM FOR FATHER'S DAY!!

I'm giving Mama money for her birthday because, ugh. I hate shopping. And she basically didn't give a crap about all the little mother's day goodies I got her so, you know. Not bothering. But I hate to give Daddy money for Father's Day. It's like, "Hey, thanks for being a super awesome Dad. Here's $20. Go buy yourself your own present." Last year I gave him some awesome heat resistant grill gloves which he LOVED and still talks about how amazing they are. Gonna be PRETTY hard to top that. #ICantEven

But wait! It gets better! Daddy's birthday is July 1st which, thankfully, he has decided he wants to eat at the Chinese buffet he and I both love (so no complaints there!) but it also means ANOTHER gift. And then it's Granny's birthday in mid-July. (Cake!) And then in August it's Alyssa's birthday which, honestly, I'm trying not to even think about because I'm still worn out from last year's party!! (Actually, I think that party killed me. I've been writing to you from beyond the grave. Someone call Ghost Hunters.)

This year she wants to have a Barbie party. Have I ever told y'all about my Barbie collection? I honestly don't remember if I have or not. I packed it up some time in 2008 and haven't really thought about it since. Alyssa's heard stories about it but hasn't ever seen it. Maybe for her Barbie birthday I'll unpack them and let her pick out  a dozen or two to keep. (I have over 100. Don't hate me.)

ANYway...sucks that I'm looking forward to September because if you've been reading here very long at all you may recall that I hate September because it's the most vicious month of the year.

AAaaaand, I'm out.

Comments

Heather said…
Bring on the desserts! Hope your mom had a good birthday!
Jana said…
I know. I could do without all the food stuff. Just gimme dessert!

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today