Life Lately

I've had a very kid-centric life these last few days. That's usually the way it goes, though. I'll go weeks without seeing them and then BAM! All kids, all the time for days! Not that I'm complaining. I love spending time with the little ones. I love taking note of all the little ways I can tell that they're growing up and becoming regular people.
 
So Lyssa went home with Nana Friday night and begged her parents to let her stay at my house Saturday night. So that's what we did. We spent some time with Nana and everyone Saturday and then ran away to my house for a night of kid-style partying.
 
We ate supper first, because that's how I roll. I think she'd have been fine without supper...she's not much of an eater when it comes to meals. Snacks, though? She could eat snacks all day every day. Meal type things? Not so much.
 
After supper, though, we got down to business. She wrote me a four page cookbook with things like "sandwhich cupcakes" which are cupcakes with the frosting (and M&M's) in the middle. M&M brownies, sprinkle sugar cookies...She's got a very creative mind for desserts. ;-)
 



After the cupcake fun, we got down to business and pulled out the Barbies. And when I say "pulled out the Barbies" I mean, I pulled out three of the four tubs of Barbies I have stashed away in the closet in Libby's room.
 
Did you know I used to collect Barbies? At last count I have over 100. Back before I moved from the lake house, I packed them all up in plastic tubs and forgot about them. Emmy had never really been into Barbies and never bothered to want to play with them.
 
Lyssa, on the other hand, has become somewhat of a Barbie collector herself in recent months. Her mama had told her about my massive collection but she'd never seen it. I figured since this was the first time she'd ever gotten to spend the night with me, I'd dig 'em out and we'd sort through them.
 
 
I forgot how tightly I'd shoved them onto the shelf in the closet, though. When I tried to pull the top tub out it wouldn't budge so I figured I'd start with the tub on the bottom.  Then I had to turn it around and like a dork, didn't realize that this would invariably turn all the tubson top and then before I knew it, the top box slid toward my face, clipped my jaw and landed SPLAT on the floor behind me. THANKFULLY, Lyssa had moved back away from me when I first started tugging on the tubs or it would have crushed her.
 
Once we got over that excitement, we had fun going through the tubs of Barbies. I also pulled out all my old Barbie furniture and we set it up in the living room and played for a while. In true Barbie nerd form, I also pulled out the two cassette tapes of Barbie and the Rockers that I had and we listened to those. Lyssa asked if we were having a Barbie party. I guess that's exactly what we did.
 
 
By around 9:30 we'd pretty much done all the Barbie damage we could do, so we put Tangled in the DVD player and snuggled up on the couch where we stayed until around 11 when we finally decided to go to bed.
 
The next morning she got up on her own at around 7am. She's the only kid I know who gets up around 7am, on her own, almost every day. Emmy could sleep until 2pm if we let her! lol
 
It was a sweetly strange phenomenon to have a little girl with me in the morning. Emmy used to stay with me all the time when she was little but do you know how long it's been since Emmy was little? A very long time, that's how long.
 
I fixed scones for breakfast and Libby enjoyed begging. Of course.

 
We watched three episodes of Sophia before getting ready for church and I had her at Sunday School ten minutes early.
 
I didn't actually stay for Sunday School. I dropped her off and then went shopping until time for the regular service. I love going to church with the kiddos and I don't know why I hesitate making it an every Sunday thing.
 
Anyway, Libs and I had the house to ourselves for the next two days. I actually took off work Tuesday. Partially because I needed a day off but also because I wanted to watch the Pretty Little Liars marathon that lead up to the big A reveal. Which, can I just say? I HATED the big A reveal. It was LAME. Not that any of ya'll probably even watch Pretty Little Liars.






I took off work Wednesday to help Sis2 get her house ready for Lyssa's upcoming birthday party. Of course, not a whole lot got done because, you know, kids. And dog.
 
 

We played, shopped and ate. Sis2 did get some cleaning done which she swears wouldn't have happened if I hadn't been there to entertain the kiddos. I think she was just trying to make me feel better about being a useless slug. haha


I ended the day by babysitting Efan while my sister and Goofus took Lyssa to talk to their pastor. She's made a profession of faith and the preacher wanted to talk to her about whether or not she wanted to make that profession public during the invitation Sunday. He spent a good amount of time talking to her and making sure she understood her decision and was genuine so we all feel good and happy about it.

Meanwhile, I was with the boy and he put on a private monster truck show...complete with homemade ramps. We also had a twenty minute conversation that was mostly just him sitting in my lap telling me every thought in his head. He's a chatterbox. Then we watched a dinosaur film.


He also sweet talked me into getting in the floor. We were supposed to be playing dinosaurs but by the time I'd inched my way to the floor, he'd gotten distracted and we were on to something else.

So yeah, I've had a kid-centric few days. And I'm still not done. Lyssa's party is Saturday and I'll be back at church with them on Sunday. Can ya'll believe the baby girl turns eight tomorrow???? :-O

Party pictures Monday! hehehehe



Comments

Heather said…
Over 100 Barbies?? And I thought Payton had a lot! Glad you and Lyssa had a fun time together!
Jana said…
Yeah. It's massive. And about 30% of them were collected as a teen/adult. haha I think I was in my mid to late twenties when I finally asked people to stop giving them to me as gifts.

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today