Target Too Swanky

 
 
I went to Target for the very first time a couple of weeks ago. We don't have one in my tiny town and the nearest one in my state is three hours away. When I went to visit my sister in Tuscaloosa I made her take me to the Target there. I had really high expectations, having seen meme's like this and reading blogs by upper middle class women who talk about their Target addiction and how they never get what they actually went in there for because everything is so beautiful.
 
Imma be honest and say, "I am too poor to shop at Target." The sticker shock for me was terrible. There are plenty of beautiful things there, to be sure, but for me, it was no different than walking into an upscale department store in terms of how far out of my reach it is. And I'm not even just talking about the home goods or clothing items. I'm talking the basics.
 
For instance, I hadn't brought my own bodywash to T-town because I figured I'd just use whatever Emmy used except, being a teenager, she was almost out and hadn't told her mom that she needed more. I didn't want to use up what little she had left so while we were in Target, I figured I'd just pick up a bottle of the cheapest stuff. The cheapest stuff I'm used to buying is a $2 bottle of Suave though I have in recent months switched to a $4 bottle of Olay because it is a much larger bottle and it lasts longer. Needless to say, the cheapest bodywash I could find in Target was a $4 bottle of a brand I'd never even heard of that was  half the size of the Olay I buy for home. You don't want to know how much the Olay cost at Target. It made me physically ill. (Or maybe it was the $12 Quiche I'd eaten at brunch earlier. Hard to say. haha)
 
 
 
I wandered aimlessly around the store oooing and aahhing at all the pretty stuff and only ended up buying the bodywash, some dog treats (I'd forgotten Libby's) and a tub drain cover in the size I'd been looking for but couldn't find and spent almost $20. I have an overall "grocery" budget of $70 a week. I spent a about a quarter of it on three items in Target. *thud* (Groceries in Janaspeak is everything you buy continually. Soap, detergent, toothpaste, paper towels, toilet paper, Libby treats/food, cheese, butter, chicken breasts,  half and half and coffee, mostly.)
 
However lower class it might be portrayed by Middle Class America, I think I'll stick to Wal-Mart, thankyouverymuch. At least there, I'm able to bathe AND eat. Though if Wal-Mart could put in a Starbucks I'd be ever so grateful. ;-)

Comments

Aunt B said…
We had a Target in our city, but it closed after only a couple of years. I planned to go and check it out but it was the other side of the city and I just never got there. As for Walmart, it's going strong, it's close to where I live and I practically live there. We actually have three Walmarts here.
Heather said…
We have four Targets here, and I actually frequent one of two of them fairly regularly -- they're the cheapest place to get the allergy meds I use. I can't even remember the last time I went to Walmart. We also have Shopko here, which I visited last month -- needed a new backpack and socks, and they had better deals at the time than Target. Which is saying a lot, as all stores were having those back-to-school sales at the time. I actually need to walk to Target this week (yes, I said walk, LOL!).
Jana said…
Aunt B~I'm glad I'm not the only one! lol I mean, I get annoyed with Wal-Mart sometimes but I still love it.

Heather~Walk on, my friend. lol You're fortunate to live in a pedestrian friendly city.
Heather said…
Thanks, LOL. It was actually a comfortable walk this time -- cool and cloudy, so didn't have to worry about my water running out before I got there, or getting overheated. They have all the Halloween stuff and even some Christmas stuff up already, so browsed through that a bit and found a couple items Kim would love for her yard, hehe.

Also had a long walk at the Arboretum (I took the creepy tunnel to the other side for a change), so my left knee is calling me all sorts of names this week. Especially since I whacked it against the coffee table twice on Saturday, hitting the same spot. And then I almost twisted an ankle on the stairs at work today... :-\

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today