Giving Thanks

I haven't dropped off the face of the planet, I swear. I've just been super busy. But since I finally got my desk cleared of the biggest portion of junk, I figured I'd take a moment to catch up on all the Turkey Day shenanigans.
 
Last Saturday, the Saturday before thanksgiving, my mom's side of the family gathered together for turkey and fun. We haven't had Thanksgiving with everyone on that side for at least three years, so it was pretty cool that we finally got together.
 

It was a gorgeous day outside so we escaped to the patio to get away from most of the noise. See that plate of food in the front and center? That was mine. And I cleaned that puppy GOOD. haha
 

 
It was a little windy, though, so Ethan decided to try and use the Force to calm the wind. It didn't work. The Force was down that day or something.
 

The following week was a crazy mixed up week. Monday I took off work early to drive Mama to a doctor's appointment. She had an epidural block or whatever and needed me to drive her home. So I was home by 2:30 that day. Libby and I took the opportunity to sit outside and enjoy the nice weather. Libby took THAT opportunity to spy in the neighbors. haha
 
 
The library got the Christmas tree put up and it is ginormous and lovely.

 
I ended up taking off early on Tuesday for a dentist appointment. My original appointment was for 4pm but they called at 12:45 and asked if I could get there by 1 and I said sure and ran out the door. I didn't go back to work after because the right side of my face was numb and droopy as I'd had a filling. I was home by 2:30 again. Then on Wednesday, the  university closed at 12 so I left around 11:15--the perks of being a 7:30 instead of 8:00 worker.
 
Then Thursday was the "main event" with nary a turkey in sight. Granny decided to do ham instead. It's easier and cheaper. All I really cared about, though, was making sure there was plenty of dressing...which there was.

 
Emmy still suffered from the aftereffects overeating. haha

I cleaned this plate, too.


After lunch settled, we surprised Emmy with a late birthday cake. She turned 16 on the 15th and we weren't there to celebrate it with her so Mama decorated a cake and we gave her a few little "happys." She's officially driving, now, with license and all and she unhappily inherited her dad's big blue Expedition.


It was nice enough that we got outside later and played and took photos. It was a really nice, albeit windy (again) day.


We tried to get all three grandkids in a shot with Nana but the boy would only show is "best side." It counts, right?
 


Friday we spent the day at the flea market instead of bothering with Black Friday and then Saturday Sis2 and I did a "birthday" brunch for Emmy. I made a sausage and bacon quiche and blueberry scones, Sis2 made chocolate chip scones and Nana made monkey bread and cinnamon rolls. It was delish.


Too bad the birthday girl isn't much of a breakfast foods person! :-D


Ethan refuses to cooperate with any sort of posed photo.
 

All in all, it was a great Thanksgiving  holiday. I tried getting some Christmas decorating done Sunday but, alas, I wasn't feeling well. I didn't even make it to church. I did manage to get all the things dragged into the house but that's about as far as I got. *shrug* I'll get the tree up one night this week. Maybe.

I feel a bit of a scrooge this year. Not really into Christmas at all. I don't want to watch the stupid movies. I don't want to hear the music. I really don't think I'd care if I got my tree up or not. I'm not sure why I'm even bothering, except I'm hoping getting the tree up will pull me out of this Christmas funk.

I guess it's just all gotten to be so commercialized and overdone that I just don't feel the Christmas spirit anymore. It feels more and more like a manufactured holiday and all the meaning is lost. Or maybe I'm must turning into a cranky curmudgeon. Whichever.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

Comments

Heather said…
Love the library tree. You had much nicer weather for T'giving than we did -- rained all day here. And then there was that fiasco of a football game in the evening. Can't believe we lost to the Bears. How humiliating. I worked the afternoon/evening day after, but S, K and I did get out for a few hours in the morning. We don't do the crazy marathon shopping we did when S's kids were little. Heck, one of them now has a baby and a BF she needs to kick to the curb, the other lives with a GF who is whipping him into shape. Also, all the sales start before Thanksgiving these days. On Sunday, S and I helped finish the bulk of decorating at K's house. Personally, I think it took us longer with S's help than when we do it alone, LOL.

I never did get my tree up last year, and it still isn't up this year. When am I ever home, except to sleep anymore? I may manage to get it up this weekend. Maybe. I have watched a ton of Christmas movies so far, too. When we were at K's, S kept telling us we couldn't do Christmas movies before T'giving -- so we made her watch three the weekend directly after. Hehe... Have also been listening to the Christmas tunes, too.
Jana said…
Ugh. I feel you on the fiasco of a football game. I don't watch football but even I'm embarrassed that our Bulldogs lost to the stupid Rebels. From what I hear, our team slept their way through the first half of the game.

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today