Weekend Notes
**I finished reading a book which starts off my new year's "one book a week goal" on a good foot. Which is better than I can say for my "hour less of TV a week" goal. The book, though a thinner Harlequin Special Edition, was tough to get through. I think I am DONE with category romance. I just kept rolling my eyes and fighting my gag-reflex the whole way through. Sort of like when I try to watch a Hallmark movie. All the sticky sweek luuuuuurrrve at first sight just doesn't do it for me anymore. I don't know if I've just become too cynical for it or what. I have a handful of books I've purchased from authors I've always loved but now I hate to try to read them for fear they'll drag me down but I also hate to NOT read them in case I miss a really great story. I guess I'll just hafta give 'em a go and if they start to drag I'll put them up and move on.
**I did start a new book yesterday. A new one from Brenda Novak who I trust to bring me a good solid story, not just a hearts and roses romance. I hope she doesn't disappoint. There was a least one of her Whiskey Creek novels (a series of which this new book is a part of) that did make me toss it angrily across the room. Every author has a "one off" now and then, though, right?
**I stayed up late last night watching the Lifetime adaptation of V.C. Andrews' My Sweet Audrina. It was...meh. I remember loving the novel back when I read it in high school. It was actually one of the better V.C. Andrews novels. But the film, well, I think it tried really hard to portray the dark and twisted nature of the book but fell flat. Oh, it had it's dark moments but it was more melodrama than anything. For the largest part, if I'm remembering the book correctly, most of the story was about how tormented Audrina was, making the story largely inside her head which is difficult to translate onto the screen. I'll give them an E for effort, though because they really did try. Had some decent actors. A spooky set. And I think pretty fairly followed the book. I had forgotten about the big plot twist at the end which helped keep the story fresh for me. I would have gone back to re-read the book beforehand but, as happens, I loaned it to BFF back when we were in high school and I never saw it again.
**I did have a few weird dreams, thanks to the movie, though. I can't say that they were particularly scary or even creepy but they did have a very V.C. Andrews vibe to them. haha
**It rained most of Saturday, making it the perfect day to snuggle inside. I did do chore type things like cleaning the kitchen and a load of laundry but the rest of the day was spent with either the television, the book, the Devil Pup and/or a craft project. I made a bracelet I've had in my head to design for a while now. It just took me a bit of research to know what materials I needed. I would post a picture of it here but I haven't taken one. I don't think jewelry making will make it onto my regular craft rotation but it was fun to try something new.
**I went to Sis2's church yesterday and then by accident we all ended up at the same McDonald's. I was in the drive-thru and they parked while Goofus ran in so we didn't actually end up "together" but, you know, just same place same time kinda thing. The kids waved really big when they recognized my car. Sidenote: I think McDonald's should develop a rewards program for us repeat offenders. :-D
**Watched Inside Out yesterday and enjoyed it. I wouldn't say it's my favorite or anything but it was good. It's a really entertaining look at how our emotions develop and create the people that we become and how keeping your emotions balanced is necessary for a healthy world/life view. I especially appreciated how it explained how even sadness is necessary in life to keep us balanced. I wouldn't say it's a film for younger kids but maybe for adolescents who are struggling with figuring out their emotions? Or 36-year-old women who struggle with understanding their emotions? hahaha
**I did not get my house de-Chrismasfied yet. I looked at the tree a few times with the thought that I really need to go ahead and get it down but, meh. No motivation. Maybe over the long holiday weekend I'll get inspired?
And that's really all from the highlight reel of the weekend. Nice, quiet and somewhat-boring. The best kind. ;-)
**I did start a new book yesterday. A new one from Brenda Novak who I trust to bring me a good solid story, not just a hearts and roses romance. I hope she doesn't disappoint. There was a least one of her Whiskey Creek novels (a series of which this new book is a part of) that did make me toss it angrily across the room. Every author has a "one off" now and then, though, right?
**I stayed up late last night watching the Lifetime adaptation of V.C. Andrews' My Sweet Audrina. It was...meh. I remember loving the novel back when I read it in high school. It was actually one of the better V.C. Andrews novels. But the film, well, I think it tried really hard to portray the dark and twisted nature of the book but fell flat. Oh, it had it's dark moments but it was more melodrama than anything. For the largest part, if I'm remembering the book correctly, most of the story was about how tormented Audrina was, making the story largely inside her head which is difficult to translate onto the screen. I'll give them an E for effort, though because they really did try. Had some decent actors. A spooky set. And I think pretty fairly followed the book. I had forgotten about the big plot twist at the end which helped keep the story fresh for me. I would have gone back to re-read the book beforehand but, as happens, I loaned it to BFF back when we were in high school and I never saw it again.
**I did have a few weird dreams, thanks to the movie, though. I can't say that they were particularly scary or even creepy but they did have a very V.C. Andrews vibe to them. haha
**It rained most of Saturday, making it the perfect day to snuggle inside. I did do chore type things like cleaning the kitchen and a load of laundry but the rest of the day was spent with either the television, the book, the Devil Pup and/or a craft project. I made a bracelet I've had in my head to design for a while now. It just took me a bit of research to know what materials I needed. I would post a picture of it here but I haven't taken one. I don't think jewelry making will make it onto my regular craft rotation but it was fun to try something new.
**I went to Sis2's church yesterday and then by accident we all ended up at the same McDonald's. I was in the drive-thru and they parked while Goofus ran in so we didn't actually end up "together" but, you know, just same place same time kinda thing. The kids waved really big when they recognized my car. Sidenote: I think McDonald's should develop a rewards program for us repeat offenders. :-D
**Watched Inside Out yesterday and enjoyed it. I wouldn't say it's my favorite or anything but it was good. It's a really entertaining look at how our emotions develop and create the people that we become and how keeping your emotions balanced is necessary for a healthy world/life view. I especially appreciated how it explained how even sadness is necessary in life to keep us balanced. I wouldn't say it's a film for younger kids but maybe for adolescents who are struggling with figuring out their emotions? Or 36-year-old women who struggle with understanding their emotions? hahaha
**I did not get my house de-Chrismasfied yet. I looked at the tree a few times with the thought that I really need to go ahead and get it down but, meh. No motivation. Maybe over the long holiday weekend I'll get inspired?
And that's really all from the highlight reel of the weekend. Nice, quiet and somewhat-boring. The best kind. ;-)
Comments