Recipe Round-Up
Recipe I've made recently and loved:
Toffee Cookies
I've made these a few times and it makes a HUGE batch of cookies and They. Are. Delicious. The last time I used this recipe (at Easter) before adding in the toffee bits, I split the cookie dough in thirds and made three types of cookies from it. One third with chocolate chips, one third with white chips and macadamia nuts and one third with the chocolate toffee bits. They were a big hit with the family at Easter lunch. It's the perfect base dough for all sorts of add-ins and I look forward to trying it with other things.
One of my favorite things about it is that instead of having softened butter, you melt the butter and then let it cool. I like this technique better because certain times of the year it's too cold in my house for butter to ever truly soften and softening in the microwave can be a disaster.
If you don't need a HUGE batch of dough, I have cut the recipe in half which involves some creative math but it's possible.
Recipe I've made recently that didn't work out like I'd hoped:
Bailey's Chocolate Cheesecake
I made this for my birthday "party" a couple of weeks ago. Yes, I made my own birthday "cake". haha It tasted fine but was decidedly lacking in the traditional cheesecake flavor and texture. I think the problem lies mostly in the baking method. Temperature is too low, I think. I may test it again with some tweaks and see how I feel about it before tossing the recipe and looking for a new one.
Recipes I intend to test:
Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls: Joy the Baker and How Sweet It Is
Two of my favorite food bloggers have posted recipes for carrot cake cinnamon rolls recently and since it IS my mom's favorite cake and we all love cinnamon rolls, it's worth a try, right? I've never made home made cinnamon rolls before, though, so this could easily be a disaster.
Slow Cooker Jerk Pork
The full recipe is for the jerk pork over rice in a pineapple "bowl." I hate rice so I'm skipping that part and I don't have time to scoop pineapple to make a bowl. But the Jerk Pork sounds amazing so I definitely want to try that. I'll just have to save up some $$$ to afford the pork
Speaking of pork, Mama bought a brown sugar glazed spiral ham on sale last week and had me cook it last night. Just about made myself sick on it when it came out of the oven at 9pm last nigh. But MAN was it good.
Toffee Cookies
I've made these a few times and it makes a HUGE batch of cookies and They. Are. Delicious. The last time I used this recipe (at Easter) before adding in the toffee bits, I split the cookie dough in thirds and made three types of cookies from it. One third with chocolate chips, one third with white chips and macadamia nuts and one third with the chocolate toffee bits. They were a big hit with the family at Easter lunch. It's the perfect base dough for all sorts of add-ins and I look forward to trying it with other things.
One of my favorite things about it is that instead of having softened butter, you melt the butter and then let it cool. I like this technique better because certain times of the year it's too cold in my house for butter to ever truly soften and softening in the microwave can be a disaster.
If you don't need a HUGE batch of dough, I have cut the recipe in half which involves some creative math but it's possible.
Recipe I've made recently that didn't work out like I'd hoped:
Bailey's Chocolate Cheesecake
I made this for my birthday "party" a couple of weeks ago. Yes, I made my own birthday "cake". haha It tasted fine but was decidedly lacking in the traditional cheesecake flavor and texture. I think the problem lies mostly in the baking method. Temperature is too low, I think. I may test it again with some tweaks and see how I feel about it before tossing the recipe and looking for a new one.
Recipes I intend to test:
Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls: Joy the Baker and How Sweet It Is
Two of my favorite food bloggers have posted recipes for carrot cake cinnamon rolls recently and since it IS my mom's favorite cake and we all love cinnamon rolls, it's worth a try, right? I've never made home made cinnamon rolls before, though, so this could easily be a disaster.
Slow Cooker Jerk Pork
The full recipe is for the jerk pork over rice in a pineapple "bowl." I hate rice so I'm skipping that part and I don't have time to scoop pineapple to make a bowl. But the Jerk Pork sounds amazing so I definitely want to try that. I'll just have to save up some $$$ to afford the pork
Speaking of pork, Mama bought a brown sugar glazed spiral ham on sale last week and had me cook it last night. Just about made myself sick on it when it came out of the oven at 9pm last nigh. But MAN was it good.
Comments