Recipe Round-Up

Recipes I tried that weren't total fails but probably won't make again:

Trisha Yearwood's Zucchini Cakes from her cookbook Trisha's Table. I made these one day last week. They're not hard to make...the hardest part was shredding two zucchini. They are pretty good but I don't know if I'd make them again. The recipe made a TON of fritters and I still have a lot left over in my fridge that I should have frozen, I guess. I wasn't in love with them, though, so I guess that's why I didn't think to freeze the leftovers. To be fair, though, I didn't make the herbed sour cream because, well, who can afford herbs? Instead, I used a little smear of jalapeno ranch dressing to zing these up a bit.

Andie Mitchell's Breakfast Egg Salad from her cookbook Eating in the Middle. I haven't eaten egg salad in a really REALLY long time and this one looked good. In theory it should have been but...It was rather bland. I liked the addition of bacon pieces to egg salad but I felt like there wasn't any real pizzazz beyond that. The only exciting bites were the bites with bacon. If I make this one again I'll use more mustard and some more spices. (pepper, cayenne or creole, garlic powder maybe?)

Recipe I sort of made up on my own and don't hate:

Pimento Cheese, Bacon, and Tomato Sandwich

half a block of extra sharp cheddar cheese
a couple tablespoons mayo
a couple tablespoons plain greek yogurt
a couple teaspoons diced pimentos, drained
salt, pepper, cayenne to taste (pinch or two of each)
(Makes enough for two sandwiches)

three strips of bacon
one Roma or plumb tomato sliced into four rounds
two slices of whole wheat bread

Mix first four ingredients into a thick mess and spread on bread. Cook bacon and pile on top of pimento cheese along with the tomato. If you're feeling really dangerous, slap that Sammy onto a skillet with some butter and make grilled pimento cheese. I did and it was DEEEEE-lish.

And okay, so I may have borrowed the idea of adding the bacon and tomato and grilling it from a local restaurant. The pimento cheese recipe is my own, though, based off of what I know about pimento cheese.

I do enjoy the restaurant version of this sandwich more but this is a nice rotation for lunch at work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today