Cast of the Pod

So I've recently gotten into podcasts. Have I mentioned that before? I feel like I have. Hang on. Let me go check.

I haven't! I can't believe it. I've been so obsessed with them for, like, WEEKS now.  I first dipped my toe in when Dooce aka Heather Armstrong and her pal, Jon, started a podcast about single parenting. (Libby qualifies me as a single parent, right? No? Well, poop.) It's fascinating to me to hear the voice of a blogger I've read for years and, well, the content is fascinating, too. It's like being a fly on the wall listening to two buddy's chat about the stuff I'm normally not privy to. So...yeah. (#eavesdropper)

Then John and Sherry of Young House Love fame started a weekly podcast that is sort of a talk show-ish take on their blog. Remember how I was so sad when they quit blogging? I went through all the stages of grief, y'all. Fo reelzies. (Wait. I just checked and apparently I DIDN'T write about my grief! What in the what is WRONG WITH ME?) So, yeah. They took a year long break from blogging and only in the past few months have they started posting again, albeit not regularly. But that's okay! I'm such a fan-ho that I'll take whatever bones they want to throw me! And so of course when they threw out a podcast bone, I caught that thang with my teeth and am still licking my lips. (Last week they phone interviewed Tiffani Thieseen, y'all and it was so cute!)

And while I enjoy listening to those two podcasts, I never imagined that following my fandom into the land of podcasts would open up a whole new world of untapped entertainment to me. And also, it provide yet another good use for my iPhone. (Because there's more to iPhones than Instagram, y'all.) The thing has an actual podcast app built in! I never knew that before! haha

So what else am I listening to, you ask? (and if you didn't ask, why are you even still reading?) Well, I binge listened to The Black Tapes and am now caught up on it. Thankfully, I get a new episode every two weeks. It is a fictional paranormal docu-drama and I am HOOKED.  It lead me to it's sister podcast Tanis (also a paranormal docu-drama/mystery though not of the ghostly nature) and then because so many of  their reviews compared the style of both of them to Serial, I started listing to it. Serial is an actual documentary podcast that covers one story week by week. Season one was a murder investigation. Season two was a military POW investigation.  I just finished both seasons yesterday, though...not sure if/when season three will sweep me off my feet or what it will be about or if there will be a season three. (Pretty please can I have a season three?) And because Serial is a product of This American Life, I've just started to dip my toe into that one. It is a weekly topic show. The only episode I've listened to so far was about fat--as in, being fat. I'm still a little shaken up by it.

I've toyed around with a few others but the styles of podcasts vary so wildly and I find, oddly enough, that I prefer the documentary/docu-drama style. I like a story told to me in an entertaining way instead of a couple of people just chitchatting rather aimlessly...Manic Rambling Spiral (Dooce's podcast) being the exception.

If anyone out there has any suggestions/recommendations...hit me up! I neeeeeeed to feeeeed this new addiction. ;-)

But hey, it's helped me cut down on the amount of television I watch every day. And the amount of time I spend trolling all my social media accounts. That's a good thing, right?

Comments

Heather said…
No...not another time suck. Guess I should be grateful I don't have a smartphone -- there are enough distractions as is, LOL. Wild storms here last night -- come see what I saw last night. :-|
Jana said…
Podcasts aren't any more of a time suck than listening to the radio and you can listen to them while doing other things. *shrug*

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today