Fun with the kiddos
Last Saturday I did something I don't normally do on weekends unless under duress...I went out into the world and participated in life.
Efan's been taking martial arts classes for the past year and Saturday was his first demo. It took place at the international fiesta that the university sponsors each spring. I've only been to the international fiesta once, many many moons ago when Emmy was a wee girl. Back then it was kinda boring. Not much going on and not much to do. It has grown a lot over the years, though I never really cared because I'm a reclusive deeply introverted hermit who relies on her Saturdays for recharging. BUT, this past Saturday I dug myself out of my pjs and texted Sis2 for deets and we ended up not only going to the fiesta together, but we also went to the veterinary school's open house...yet another event I wouldn't normally attend.
Goofus was out of town taking care of his mom who recently had two kidney stones crushed and a temporary stent put in one kidney so I was able to make a day of it with Sis2 and the kiddos. Normally I wouldn't have even thought to "horn in" on the activities because Goofus has made it plain that I'm not welcome to tag along on their "family days." I mean, he's never come out and SAID it in those exact terms but I'm not stupid. So with him gone, I jumped at the chance to do something fun with them.
We started out with lunch at Chick-fil-A because it was the least expensive option of the kids' choice of restaurants. I like Chick-fil-A anyway, though. They have the best spicy chicken sandwiches and the best sweet tea.
Then it was on to the open house at the Veterinary School. They had all sorts of activities for the kids to do, like learning how to milk a cow. Not a real cow, but... ;-)
There were different rooms with information on different types of animals--mammals, fish, birds, aquatic creatures--a whole table littered with shark teeth that the kids could comb through and choose a few to take home with them. Efan charmed the girls attending the table into helping him sort through and take home a tooth from each kind of shark. The fact that he knew all the names of the sharks sealed the deal, I think.
The petting "zoo" part of the open house was a hit, as well. There were two types of goats, a lama, a couple of breeds of chickens, and Efan's favorite...a snake!
And of course there was a photo booth set up with an underwater Nemo/Dory theme.
We stopped at the library on the way to the fiesta because, well, we all needed to use the restroom. Can't you just picture that girl ten years from now, sitting there at that study carol with a big stack of books?
The International Fiesta was CROWDED. I don't really do crowded. We had to be there by 2 for Efan to check in with his Martial Arts team and get instructions and all that. Lyssa and I were at loose ends so she did the bouncy house for a while and I stood around melting in the gosh awful heat of Mississippi in Spring.
Unfortunately, the program was running behind by about thirty minutes so we were at loose ends for about an hour and a half. Which wouldn't have been so bad if weren't so hot and crowded. Lyssa wasn't really interested in visiting any of the booths or trying any of the food and Efan and Sis2 were afraid to leave the Martial Arts tent since they weren't really sure when they were up. Lyssa and I chased shade and places to sit and complained about the heat a great deal.
Efan did amazing in his demo, though. I forget what particular style of martial arts his group was demonstrating and I know next to nothing about martial arts but I feel like his form is spectacular compared to the other kids. (proud aunt moment.)
And yes...he broke an actual real, solid piece of wood. With his foot. His bare foot. This kid...I die!
To reward him for all his hard work and his great performance, we ended up at the local fro-yo place. Never mind that there is a new gourmet popcorn place in town or that there is also a new popsicle place we haven't tried. These two are die hard creatures of habit. But I can't blame them. I am too.
Efan's been taking martial arts classes for the past year and Saturday was his first demo. It took place at the international fiesta that the university sponsors each spring. I've only been to the international fiesta once, many many moons ago when Emmy was a wee girl. Back then it was kinda boring. Not much going on and not much to do. It has grown a lot over the years, though I never really cared because I'm a reclusive deeply introverted hermit who relies on her Saturdays for recharging. BUT, this past Saturday I dug myself out of my pjs and texted Sis2 for deets and we ended up not only going to the fiesta together, but we also went to the veterinary school's open house...yet another event I wouldn't normally attend.
Goofus was out of town taking care of his mom who recently had two kidney stones crushed and a temporary stent put in one kidney so I was able to make a day of it with Sis2 and the kiddos. Normally I wouldn't have even thought to "horn in" on the activities because Goofus has made it plain that I'm not welcome to tag along on their "family days." I mean, he's never come out and SAID it in those exact terms but I'm not stupid. So with him gone, I jumped at the chance to do something fun with them.
We started out with lunch at Chick-fil-A because it was the least expensive option of the kids' choice of restaurants. I like Chick-fil-A anyway, though. They have the best spicy chicken sandwiches and the best sweet tea.
Then it was on to the open house at the Veterinary School. They had all sorts of activities for the kids to do, like learning how to milk a cow. Not a real cow, but... ;-)
There were different rooms with information on different types of animals--mammals, fish, birds, aquatic creatures--a whole table littered with shark teeth that the kids could comb through and choose a few to take home with them. Efan charmed the girls attending the table into helping him sort through and take home a tooth from each kind of shark. The fact that he knew all the names of the sharks sealed the deal, I think.
The petting "zoo" part of the open house was a hit, as well. There were two types of goats, a lama, a couple of breeds of chickens, and Efan's favorite...a snake!
And of course there was a photo booth set up with an underwater Nemo/Dory theme.
We stopped at the library on the way to the fiesta because, well, we all needed to use the restroom. Can't you just picture that girl ten years from now, sitting there at that study carol with a big stack of books?
The International Fiesta was CROWDED. I don't really do crowded. We had to be there by 2 for Efan to check in with his Martial Arts team and get instructions and all that. Lyssa and I were at loose ends so she did the bouncy house for a while and I stood around melting in the gosh awful heat of Mississippi in Spring.
Unfortunately, the program was running behind by about thirty minutes so we were at loose ends for about an hour and a half. Which wouldn't have been so bad if weren't so hot and crowded. Lyssa wasn't really interested in visiting any of the booths or trying any of the food and Efan and Sis2 were afraid to leave the Martial Arts tent since they weren't really sure when they were up. Lyssa and I chased shade and places to sit and complained about the heat a great deal.
Efan did amazing in his demo, though. I forget what particular style of martial arts his group was demonstrating and I know next to nothing about martial arts but I feel like his form is spectacular compared to the other kids. (proud aunt moment.)
And yes...he broke an actual real, solid piece of wood. With his foot. His bare foot. This kid...I die!
To reward him for all his hard work and his great performance, we ended up at the local fro-yo place. Never mind that there is a new gourmet popcorn place in town or that there is also a new popsicle place we haven't tried. These two are die hard creatures of habit. But I can't blame them. I am too.
I went home tired, hot and probably a bit smelly but it was a fun day. I got to spend time with the kiddos and my sister and I got to see my amazing nephew demonstrate his awesomeness.
The last weekend in April is Alyssa's fourth (I think it's her fourth...maybe her fifth. I lose track of the years) dance recital. This year she's doing three forms I dance, I think. Ballet, tap AND jazz! Pics will definitely be shared here.
These two kids are going places. I just know it.
Comments