New Year, Same Me

So, well, it's 2018. I'm not terribly optimistic about a new year. The older I get, the less enthusiastic I am, yanno? But I had a decent Christmas, not without it's usual emotional components. I have come to the conclusion that my family isn't awful...I'm just very complex when it comes to my feelins about them. And any extended, forced period of time spent with them as a large group is hard on my mental health. Not because of them, but because of me.
 
With that being said, here's the rundown.

The Friday before Christmas, Mama and I met Sis1 and Emmy at the mall halfway between us and them and spent the day shopping and running up my credit card bill. Hobby Lobby, y'all. I bought a ton of stuff for projects I'll probably never get around to doing. haha

For the first time in several years, I hosted Christmas Eve supper at my house. Not because anyone really wanted to come to my house, but because Mama felt bad when I said I might not even put up a Christmas tree because nobody but me ever sees it anyway and I just didn't have the heart for it this year. So, of course, she was like, "Let's do Christmas Eve at your house."
And it was fun. I cooked three entrees, though, because my family is super picky and nobody likes the same things. So we had port tenderloin, sautéed shrimp, and parmesan chicken with brussels sprouts, twiced baked potatoes, jalapeno poppers, cheeseball, and corn salad. I had a ton of chocolate stuff from the annual baking day with the kiddos, so I didn't bother making dessert.

Although, we did have eggnog. My first time, ever. Daddy had mentioned earlier in the week that he wanted some so I bought a carton and spiked it with some Jameson whiskey and that stuff is GOOOOD. I'm an eggnog convert now. Just FYI.
I would post a pic or two of the baking/candy making day with the kiddos, but I'm still not sure about posting much to do with them anymore. You know, just to protect them? I wish I'd had better sense about it when they were younger. Maybe I wouldn't have posted so much.

But anyway...

I know some people think it's ridiculous to buy a dog/pet a Christmas gift. I, however, am of the mind that pets are family and family get gifts. And Libby, the spoiled little devil pup she is, is ALL ABOUT GIFTS. When I wrapped and placed her gift under the tree, I told her it was hers and she pretty much attacked it. She got so excited, it was hilarious. I ended up having to take it up and put it away until Christmas morning. :-D


I tried posting a video of Libby with her gift after I first put it under the tree but stupid blogger doesn't want to post it.

We did some things a little different this year, on Christmas morning. Instead of me getting up at 4am and rushing around to get to the folks' house by 6am, we decided to wait until later to do gifts so that Sis2 and the kids could come open gifts with us. So I was able to sleep until close to 6 am and take my time loading the car. I got to the folks' house round 8am and we ate breakfast and sat round the table visiting for a while. Sis2, the kids and Goofus got there around 9:30 and had totally fun pandemonium.

Milo got in a spot of trouble and this is him hiding in humiliation after he "got out of jail."  My mom fixed the kids up with buckets of treats and candy and stuff and Milo got really territorial about Lyssa's bucket and tried starting a fight with Libby, growled and nipped at Mama and ultimately got locked in his crate until they could put the bucket up and get him calmed down. He was so embarrassed when we finally let him out that he hid over by daddy's chair behind a bunch of boxes and stuff.

Libby's feelings were a little hurt by Milo's defection but she eventually perked up.

 
Libby is totally a Christmas dog. She loves the chaos of all the wrapping paper flying. She loves that the kiddos get her a gift that she gets to open. She loves all the laps and random hugs she gets. And then she's ready to go home. haha
 
Of course Christmas culminated with lunch at Granny's, per usual. Emmy insisted on an "Aunts picture" because we haven't done one in a while. Lyssa was the photographer for my phone. She was either trying to be artistic or didn't give a crap. haha
 
It was a satisfying day, though.
I'm back at work with a monster cold/cough. Misery.

But 2018! Don't expect me to change, though. I'm still going to be the moody, sarcastic, delight you've come to know and love. ;-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today