Deep In the Heart of Texas Part One

Y'all, I'm becoming a regular road tripping traveler. For a girl who previously had only ever been in three states (the state where I live, Alabama, and Tennessee) in my whole life, I've visited three NEW states in a year's time. Well, you know. New to me, states.

Back last June I went to Georgia for work, in January I went to Louisiana for a show in New Orleans, and most recently, I went to Texas which was, by far, the longest road trip I've ever taken...11 hours to Waco and then 12 hours coming home from Austin.

My cousin--six years younger than me, who I babysat all the time when we were kids, and who was my best childhood friend and who moved to Austin about 7 or 8 years ago--finally got married so Sis1 and my CO aunt who now lives in MS road tripped across Louisiana and into Texas.

Leaving early Thursday morning...

Crossing the Mississippi River into Louisiana.


Breezing through Monroe, LA.
Entering Shreveport, LA.


We stopped at the Walmart next to this sign and I love that the café is named Frog's Breath.
Going through/around the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. I can't handle all this traffic! Glad I wasn't driving.

 
Hillsboro, TX

Since we were going to make the long drive, we decide to throw in a day of extra fun and went to Waco to visit the Magnolia Silos. We've all three been Fixer Upper fans since the beginning so it was thrilling to get to visit the market, bakery, etc. that we'd seen renovated on television.

We had just walked into the hotel and dropped our bags before doing a selfie. haha

Our hotel was right across the highway from Baylor University's McLane Stadium which I thought was pretty cool. Good thing there wasn't a football game that weekend though.

Another neat view from our hotel was the lighted bridge. It sparkled!





Texas loves itself...this was the waffle iron at the hotel.

I would not recommend that Red Roof Inn. It was somewhat of a dump and not cheap. The ceiling squealed and squeaked all night long every time the people above us got up and walked across their room. Blech!


The Magnolia Market a the Silos was beautiful. Crowded but beautiful! Expensive...but beautiful. 




 

 




The Silos Bakery had a devil of a line all day long but they are so efficient that the wait wasn't that long.
 


I mean...look at all those cupcakes!

I got the seasonal flavor, toasted coconut. The frosting was divine...the cupcake? Meh. I've had better. Heck, I've MADE better. And at $3.50 a pop...man...I'm glad I only got the one.


We headed to Austin around 3:30 Friday to check into our hotel where we'd be staying the next three nights. On the way, we stopped at this beautiful rest stop/storm shelter for a potty break and a coke.

Our Garmin failed us once we got into Austin. Instead of taking us to the hotel, it kept taking us to a Sears service center. We went around in circles for half an hour trying to figure it out until my aunt finally called the hotel and got directions. By the time we got checked in, we were pretty much done with Austin for the night and instead of venturing out for a steak, as we'd planned, we settled for the Tex-Mex place next door. Which was...bleh.

Saturday morning I was praying for the best...

We had some time to kill before the "Pre-Wedding Day Fun Festivities" so I indulged in some hotel cable and caught up on my Food Network. Did I tell y'all I canceled my satellite subscription back in February?
The Pre-Wedding Day Fun Festivities took place at a distillery ranch called Treaty Oak. It was about thirty minutes outside of Austin in a little "town" called Dripping Springs. We drove to infinity and thought we'd gotten lost before we finally found it.

The restaurant there serves amazing food. I got the Sesame Spare Ribs and they were...divine. Melt in your mouth divine. It was, by far, the best meal we had in Texas. 







It was definitely a unique place. There was a restaurant, a tasting facility and a cocktail "lounge" with live music. We got bored with it all fairly quickly so we left around 4 and went back to the cabin my aunt--the groom's mom--and my other cousin and his family had rented for the weekend.

The batteries on the electric lock were dying, though, and the code for the lock box with the key had long since been lost so we sat out on the porch for about an hour while they tried to get someone from the rental agency to come let them in. No one ever came so they jimmied open a kitchen window and shoved one of the kids in to unlock it from the inside.

Good times. LOL

 
Once we finally got inside, we ate cupcakes and my young cousins entertained us with songs and crazy photo apps. I can't remember when I've laughed so hard.

I had hoped we would get out Sunday morning and explore Austin a bit before the wedding but...my aunt decided she needed a lazy morning and we didn't head out until around 11. So that up there is my sad face.

It was too cold to swim but the pool sure did look inviting.

 


I wanted to go find a steak for lunch but my aunt wasn't all that hungry so we tried In-n-Out instead, since none of us had ever eaten there for. I don't even know if there is an In-n-Out in Mississippi. It was good. Not the miracle I've read others rave about but it was a good fast food burger.


We were going to go to Target but found this cool gift shop in the same shopping center instead. I could have spent all day there.



We finally headed out to the wedding around 2:45 and drove for days to the little outdoor chapel near their home where they wedding was to take place.


 




Wedding Pics and the trip home in the next post...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today