Friday Thoughts

A) Friends and co-workers: I've lost 41lbs but that does not mean I don't still struggle with body issues. I still have 40lbs to go before I am no longer considered morbidly obese by the medical community. I am working at changing myself from the inside out in a positive way. What I'm doing to or with my body bears no reflection on anyone else. I'm dressing differently because for the first time in 20 years, I feel as though I CAN dress better. A whole world of wardrobe options has opened up to me that I didn't have access to six months ago. I'm sure it's jarring to you to see me no longer hiding under tent sized t-shirts and baggy pants but there is NO NEED for anyone to feel threatened by it and I for sure don't appreciate the constant notification that you think it means I think I'm fine, nor do I appreciate anyone shaming me about it. I do not think I'm fine. I'm not trying to catch a man. I'm just over here figuring out how to live my best life before I'm too old to appreciate that I even HAVE a life.

B) Men in my life: See that note above about me not trying to catch a man? It's true. I seriously don't need all the unmarried men in my life suddenly talking constantly about their girlfriends. I mean, honestly, I didn't really know or care if you had a girlfriend before I lost 41lbs,  so I seriously don't really care now that I've lost 41lbs. If you feel you need to constantly remind me that you HAVE a girlfriend, you might need to consider that you're reminding yourself because I'm entirely uninterested either way. If you think I'm flirting with you, chances are, I'm probably just being nice or I feel utterly unthreatened by you. If I was attracted to you? I'd be a bumbling mess. So relax. It's all good. I'm not going to start chasing you. If I did, you better run because it probably means you're holding a candy bar while I'm PMSing and I WILL tackle you for it.

C) I appreciate the compliments, but for real? Stop. Folks don't realize it but it's a lot of pressure. Like, constantly hearing about it 1) really drills home the fact that there is a lot of worth attached to body weight and 2) if for some reason I stop losing or start (God forbid) gaining again I realize I will no longer be worth talking to. And I get it. Folks are excited for me. Or curious about the hows/whys, etc. I understand. But I don't really want to talk about it every time I see folks. I don't need anyone to tell me what look like right now, especially since I haven't actually lost anything since before Christmas and I'm already too aware of that fact so me having to nod and pretend to be okay when folks mention my weight loss is hard for me. Just be happy for me in your head. Or just tell me I look nice today and you like the way I've been doing my hair. Or my outfit is cute. Don't tell me I've lost more weight or ask me if I've lost weight. It's rude, anyway.

D) Maple bacon donuts are delicious. Yes, I ate one. I'm allowed to enjoy my life. Get over it.

E) I'm also eating out for lunch today. It's been a tough week. My friends and I are celebrating survival.

F) I take back what I said about not trying to catch a man. If Jason Momoa walked past me right now I'd definitely chase after him. Damn, that is one delicious man. I'm going to be holed up in the theater Sunday afternoon drooling over some Aquaman.

G) I have discovered dry shampoo and it is a game changer. I've always had really oily hair so I usually wash it every day. But...dry shampoo, y'all. Not only does it keep me from having to wash my hair when I'm being lazy, it also gives great texture and body. So on days like today when I want to wear my pitifully flat and thin  hair in a ponytail, the dry shampoo fluffs it up and it actually looks cute. Or, I think it looks cute.

H) Speaking of hair, I've been taking a hair, skin and nails supplement lately cause, y'all...my hair is getting so thin. I think it's a wicked combo of low iron and this stupid hypothyroidism but I've got a really thin balding spot at the crown of my head and I'm hyper aware of it. I can't tell if the supplement is working since it's only been a couple weeks that I've been taking it. Fingers crossed. I know, it's completely vain, but dang. Hair is important. And unlike Sis1 who can rock an almost buzz cut (she's battled alopecia for around 7 years now), my face is too round. I'd look like a 12-year-old boy with wrinkles on his forehead.

That's all I got. I, unlike Bradly Cooper and Lady Gaga, am still in the shallow.





Happy Weekending, y'all.

Comments

Aunt B said…
Reading this, and your previous post, all I can say is "Well done, Jana!" You're showing such insight and I completely agree with everything you've said in both of those posts. You're so completely on the right path, I think, and I'm so happy for you that you're seeing the ways to make the changes in your life that will be best for you. Please don't let your family hold you back...and please get back to writing! You write extremely well and I was following that serial you were posting several years ago. And I was disappointed when it suddenly stopped! You go girl!! You've got this!!😄👍
Jana said…
Thank you so much! I truly appreciate how supportive you've been all these years! Love ya!

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today