News!
Don't get too excited. I haven't gotten married. And no, no babies in sight. No new dogs, either. Libby's still my soulmate.
But I DO have a new job!!!
I try not to talk about my job too much here because, you know, I need to keep it. But in case you weren't able to pick up on my subtle cues over the years, I had come to hate my previous job. Maybe hate is a strong word, but it feels right.
I'm still at the library I've always worked at, just a new department, new position, new duties, new supervisor, etc. The safety of the familiar with the excitement of all new!
I've been in the new job for nearly a month now and I must say, I'm REALLY enjoying it. There are a lot of benefits to this job that I didn't have at my old one, such as no public desk (no interaction with patrons!) no Saturday work, fewer bosses to deal with, clear job duties, fewer close co-workers (meaning, fewer personalities to deal with/cater to), I have a more private cubical/desk area, AND, best of all, a lot less overwhelm.
That was the worst part of my previous job--I felt completely overwhelmed. I was tasked to essentially run a division basically on my own without the compensation or support I really needed. I was making decisions I didn't feel qualified to make so I was in a constant state of fear of messing up. And there were all these other "supervisors" in the department making decisions that affected me and my division without actually discussing things with me because THEY felt more qualified for my job than I was. So I was left feeling confused and angry a lot of the time. A lot of the depression I've dealt with over the past several years was directly related to a lot of things that happened in that job.
And I'm probably saying too much...
But you know, I realize that a lot of what I felt in that old job is fairly common in most jobs. I don't know a single person who is completely satisfied with what they're doing unless they're working for themselves and living the dream!
For right now, at least, I am happy in my work. I have very clear indications of my progress, I get to use my brain in a whole new way while also being a bit creative, and there is also a lot of opportunity here to learn a whole new skillset which to be honest, is VERY exciting. The ONLY thing I don't like about this new job is that the lights in this office are motion sensored and the way the cube wall is situated around my desk, it doesn't sense me when I'm in here by myself. So for the thirty minutes I'm here before my officemate arrives, I'm having to get up and wave at the sensor periodically. lol
I do have some Libby pupdates that I'll be sharing soon, but I've got to ta-ta for now!
But I DO have a new job!!!
I try not to talk about my job too much here because, you know, I need to keep it. But in case you weren't able to pick up on my subtle cues over the years, I had come to hate my previous job. Maybe hate is a strong word, but it feels right.
I'm still at the library I've always worked at, just a new department, new position, new duties, new supervisor, etc. The safety of the familiar with the excitement of all new!
I've been in the new job for nearly a month now and I must say, I'm REALLY enjoying it. There are a lot of benefits to this job that I didn't have at my old one, such as no public desk (no interaction with patrons!) no Saturday work, fewer bosses to deal with, clear job duties, fewer close co-workers (meaning, fewer personalities to deal with/cater to), I have a more private cubical/desk area, AND, best of all, a lot less overwhelm.
That was the worst part of my previous job--I felt completely overwhelmed. I was tasked to essentially run a division basically on my own without the compensation or support I really needed. I was making decisions I didn't feel qualified to make so I was in a constant state of fear of messing up. And there were all these other "supervisors" in the department making decisions that affected me and my division without actually discussing things with me because THEY felt more qualified for my job than I was. So I was left feeling confused and angry a lot of the time. A lot of the depression I've dealt with over the past several years was directly related to a lot of things that happened in that job.
And I'm probably saying too much...
But you know, I realize that a lot of what I felt in that old job is fairly common in most jobs. I don't know a single person who is completely satisfied with what they're doing unless they're working for themselves and living the dream!
For right now, at least, I am happy in my work. I have very clear indications of my progress, I get to use my brain in a whole new way while also being a bit creative, and there is also a lot of opportunity here to learn a whole new skillset which to be honest, is VERY exciting. The ONLY thing I don't like about this new job is that the lights in this office are motion sensored and the way the cube wall is situated around my desk, it doesn't sense me when I'm in here by myself. So for the thirty minutes I'm here before my officemate arrives, I'm having to get up and wave at the sensor periodically. lol
I do have some Libby pupdates that I'll be sharing soon, but I've got to ta-ta for now!
Comments
Aunt B