But...but...all my friends are doing it.
hehehe
Guess I'm gonna hafta break down and read the Twilight series. Everyone and their sister is reading it or has read it and I really feel left out. But I've read such wildly conflicting reviews that I'm half afraid I'll hate it. Which is the feeling I get. It's one you either love or hate. You think Edward's chocolate dipped in sexy or he's an obsessive control freak dipped in borderline abusive.
In other teen subjects, anyone else watching ABC Family's Secret Life of the American Teenager? Anyone else think it's a bunch of hooey? I've known a lot of pregnant teens (half of my friends in high school had at least one kid by the time we graduated!) and this show seems to be entirely at odds with the reality of my former teen years. For one, when girls at our school got pregnant it was no big deal. At least not in the way portrayed on this show. No one tried to shame them into quitting, there was no alternative school, no one had to "rally around" them to make them feel better. It was simply part of life.
But heck. Maybe it was my high school experience that was unique and the rest of the world lives like an ABC Family show.
Something else that sort of gripes me about this show--it makes Christians, especially teen Christians, look lame. I've been a card carrying member of Christ's family since I was 11 and I didn't bounce through high school all perky "I can forgive and forget the skank that had sex with my boyfriend and we'll be best friends". Everyone knew I was a Christian not because I had to go around acting all "holier than thou I'm perfect." I don't know exactly how they knew. Maybe it was because I was one of two girls in my class who graduated a virgin (the other was one of my best friends who's dad was a preacher). However they knew, it wasn't because I was some lam-o, snotty goody two shoes. I'll be the first to admit that anyone who has to try that hard to appear that "good" can't possibly be a Christian. The Christian life isn't any easier than anyone else's. Christians struggle with the same issues as everyone else. We're not perfect.
And we're certainly not lame.
At least I'm not.
Much.
But back to Secret Life I just don't see the average American teen's life playing out like that. It's too...I don't know. Perfect. Sweet. Boring.
Don't ask my why I've continued to watch it each week. Hoping for it to get real, maybe.
Or maybe it IS real, and I'm just out of touch.
In even MORE teen news, I watched the newest incarnation of 90210 last night. Will not be making THAT mistake again. I thought they said it was going to be edgier than the previous. The only thing edgy I saw last night was the new Peach Pit.
Blech!
I think I'm just gettin' old.
Guess I'm gonna hafta break down and read the Twilight series. Everyone and their sister is reading it or has read it and I really feel left out. But I've read such wildly conflicting reviews that I'm half afraid I'll hate it. Which is the feeling I get. It's one you either love or hate. You think Edward's chocolate dipped in sexy or he's an obsessive control freak dipped in borderline abusive.
In other teen subjects, anyone else watching ABC Family's Secret Life of the American Teenager? Anyone else think it's a bunch of hooey? I've known a lot of pregnant teens (half of my friends in high school had at least one kid by the time we graduated!) and this show seems to be entirely at odds with the reality of my former teen years. For one, when girls at our school got pregnant it was no big deal. At least not in the way portrayed on this show. No one tried to shame them into quitting, there was no alternative school, no one had to "rally around" them to make them feel better. It was simply part of life.
But heck. Maybe it was my high school experience that was unique and the rest of the world lives like an ABC Family show.
Something else that sort of gripes me about this show--it makes Christians, especially teen Christians, look lame. I've been a card carrying member of Christ's family since I was 11 and I didn't bounce through high school all perky "I can forgive and forget the skank that had sex with my boyfriend and we'll be best friends". Everyone knew I was a Christian not because I had to go around acting all "holier than thou I'm perfect." I don't know exactly how they knew. Maybe it was because I was one of two girls in my class who graduated a virgin (the other was one of my best friends who's dad was a preacher). However they knew, it wasn't because I was some lam-o, snotty goody two shoes. I'll be the first to admit that anyone who has to try that hard to appear that "good" can't possibly be a Christian. The Christian life isn't any easier than anyone else's. Christians struggle with the same issues as everyone else. We're not perfect.
And we're certainly not lame.
At least I'm not.
Much.
But back to Secret Life I just don't see the average American teen's life playing out like that. It's too...I don't know. Perfect. Sweet. Boring.
Don't ask my why I've continued to watch it each week. Hoping for it to get real, maybe.
Or maybe it IS real, and I'm just out of touch.
In even MORE teen news, I watched the newest incarnation of 90210 last night. Will not be making THAT mistake again. I thought they said it was going to be edgier than the previous. The only thing edgy I saw last night was the new Peach Pit.
Blech!
I think I'm just gettin' old.
Comments